Sunday 29 August 2010

''Anger is a waste of energy''

Today my son tells me he was talking about his feelings re his exam results, his sense of rage, etc; whereupon the new Manc Hippychick tells him 'Anger is a waste of energy'. My son is not a master of self expression but did say how very 'Hippy' this remark was, in the worst way. I was picturing a Yoda- type utterer of similar non sequiteurs, the sort of pseudo- profound but basically 'shut up I don't want to give your feelings any air space'remark that deserves a hefty toe punt. Belittling, dismissive, and frankly hugely patronising in a superior 'guru' way.Next to 'Cheer Up' it gets my vote for a Pan in the Face. Anyway in the interests of fairness I mused on the sentiment for a bit, and asked myself is 'anger a waste of energy' in fact? Or is it a) an engine for change and b) a self defence mechanism to prevent harm to ourselves and our loved ones and c) a natural human response which must be dealt with and addressed and not bottled up, dismissed or denied. I also mused on how angry the Superior One would feel if anything happened to upset her current rather jammy idyll. In the situation as described the anger he felt could be used to energise him to ensure the sense of failure was not repeated with his GCEs. Ah well. Learn, you will; as Yoda would say.

1 comment:

  1. How very spooky that we both blogged about the same topic at not far off the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete